A triple bomb attack in northeastern Nigeria has left 14 people dead and more than a dozen others injured, authorities say.
The casualties occurred on Sunday evening, when three female bombers detonated their explosives in the northeastern city of Maiduguri.
“So far, we have 14 people killed and 18 injured in the triple suicide bombings last night,” said Ahmed Satomi, from the Borno state emergency management agency.
No group or individual has so far claimed responsibility for the deadly attack; however, an anonymous militia source said the blasts came “hours after reports of sighting of a lot of Boko Haram members outside the city.”
Last month, at least 15 people were killed after suspected members of the Boko Haram Takfiri terrorist group targeted an aid distribution point in Borno state.
The group claimed an attack on August 16 in Konduga, during which three female attackers blew up their explosives outside a camp for displaced persons. It killed at least 28 people and left more than 80 others injured.
Boko Haram has been largely pushed back out of its main strongholds in northern Nigeria, according to the country’s military and government. The group, however, is still active in its Sambisa Forest enclave in Borno state and launches sporadic attacks on civilians and security forces there.
The Nigerian military launched renewed counter-insurgency offensives after the end of the rainy season in northeastern Nigeria in September. Those offensives have clearly caused attacks by Boko Haram to drop, but the government warns that the group can still attack civilians at “soft” targets, including mosques, markets and camps for displaced people.
Thousands have been killed and hundreds of thousands displaced as a result of eight years of the Boko Haram insurgency, which has also affected Nigeria’s neighbors, including Niger, Cameroon and Chad.
By Africafrique and agencies