Sudan:5 soldiers killed in Saudi war on Yemen

The file photo shows Sudanese army troops.

Sudan has acknowledged the death of five soldiers in Yemen, where the military of the east African country is contributing to an illegal war by Saudi Arabia against the kingdom’s impoverished neighbor.

Brigadier General Ahmed Khalifa al-Shami, a spokesman for Sudan’s armed forces, said on Wednesday that 22 soldiers were also wounded earlier in the day while fighting along the ranks of Saudis.

The official would not elaborate on further details and where the soldiers had been killed. He claimed, however, that the Sudanese had managed to take captives.

Sources in the Saudi-backed camp of the war on Yemen said the Sudanese soldiers had been killed during a fighting with Houthi Ansarullah fighters and allies in Ta’izz province. They said the fierce fighting erupted over the control of a volcanic mountain on a road toward Khalid bin al-Waleed military base.

Sudan has rarely acknowledged casualties suffered in Yemen since it sent troops in 2015 to assist Riyadh.

Troops from the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, Senegal and Sudan have been fighting alongside the Saudis. Many of those countries have been unwilling to elaborate on the military presence as the operation has hardly succeeded in pushing back the Houthis and allies from key areas.

Coalition members also feel increasing pressure to withdraw troops from Yemen as the bombardment and the ground operation keep claiming more civilian lives. More than 10,000 have been killed while hundreds of thousands have been displaced since the beginning of the Saudi campaign in March 2015.

By Africafrique and agencies

Comments Below

comments Below

Africa News

Africafrique Africa News From Africa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *